THOMPSON ESTATE EASTERN SUBURBS ATHLETICS - May 2014 Newsletter
Minnippi Parklands Cross Country in April
I hope you are all enjoying the chillier mornings. April saw the start of the cross country season, andTEES was well represented in two of the events. The first was our club run at Minnippi Parklands. We had a good turnout with 186 finishers. The day was warm, some would say too warm, the grass was freshly mowed and many of the runners were keen to have their first cross country run of the season. Thanks to everyone who helped, it was a successful event and a good fundraiser for the club.
Queensland Athletics Cross Country Relay Championships
The second XC event for us was the Queensland Athletics Relay Championships held at Rivermount College. TEES entered 15 teams, and everyone ran really well on a tough course. Our U12 girls' team(Sophia, Amy and Shellbee) won gold and were nearly 3 minutes ahead of the next club team, and faster than the school teams as well. Our U12 Boys A team were announced 3rd, but in the final results said to be 4th. Well done boys for a good effort. The Boys B team were close behind on 5th.
U12 Girls Qld Athletics Cross Country Gold medalists
Our U14 girls team with Ellie, Gabby and Tahlia also won gold, and were one minute ahead of the next club. Then the U16 boys A team of Kurt, Luke H and Daniel claimed bronze. Callum Finnegan helped the U14 boys by running with them after having just finished in his U12 relay. They put on a great effort and came 5th. In the Masters women 35 - 49 division our team of Anne, Kayti and Jean won bronze. The men's 35-49 A team with Campbell, Jason and Dean also came 3rd and in the Masters men race, the A team of John C, Greg and Martin came 1st while the B team of Kevin, Roy and John S came 2nd.. I think this medal effort placed TEES 3rd overall, and first in the adult categories. Christabel and Erika also ran in the winning State High 13 years School team and Katrina ran in the winning 14 years State High team.
Masters medal winners at Qld Cross Country relays.
Various TEES athletes at Qld Cross Country relays
Queensland Athletics All Schools Cross Country Champs and the Open and Masters Short Course Cross Country Champs were held last weekend at Kedron. It was a good day with manyTEES members running. The course was changed slightly from last year because of a carpark now being on the end part of last year's course. So many of TEES juniors ran excellently in events with large numbers, and a few challenging hills to conquer. Here is a list of our TEES members in the top twenty:
- Ellie Ryan came 3rd in the 12 year girls 3km race, followed by Gabby Williams- Scudamore on 7th, and Shatalii Mooney-Stack was 11th.
- Katrina Robinson won the 14 year girl's' race. Katrina is now the first person to win at All Schools 7 years in a row.
- Shane Webb also won Gold in the boys' 16 - 19 years AWD race and Liam Wyatt came 3rd in the boys' 13 - 15 years AWD race.
- In the ten year boys' race Josh Finnegan was 17th in his first Qld All Schools run.
- Amy Riethmuller came 6th out of 82 in the 11 year girls' race, Sophia McIntosh was 11th, Torryn Squires was 17th and Shellbee Welsh 18th in the same event.
- In the 11 year boys' race, Bailey Ford came 6th.
- In the 13 year girls' race, Christabel Kingdon came 7th and Erika Gage was 13th.
- Luke Harvey came 8th in the 14 year boys' race
- Thwane Fouche came 6th in the 15 year girls race.
- Callum Davies came 7th in the 15 year boys' race.
These are fantastic results for the juniors, and there were many other great performances that I haven't mentioned.
Bronze medal winner in Qld All Schools in the boys' 13 - 15 years AWD
Retains Qld All Schools title for 7th year in a row
- In the Womens' open division, Ellen Christison came 4th.
- Heather Windle came 3rd in the 30-34 age group.
- Kayti Marlow came 4th in the 40-44 age group.
- Dean Comber came 5th in the 45 - 49 age group. In the same age category, Steve Barraclough , who is just back running after an injury came 9th. Dragan Gigovic came 11th in this same event.
- Kevin Christison came 6th in the 50 - 54 division.
- Greg Coulter won bronze in the 55 to 59 age category.
- Sean Ryan a silver in the 65 to 69 age group.
Most school district cross country events have now been held, and I know many TEES members competed at them. I hope you all enjoyed yourselves and found you benefited from training. A lot of you are now through to the Regional competitions. Keep your training up and try and stay healthy. Familiarize yourselves with the course beforehand if possible.
Queensland Athletics are holding the first of their Cross Country Cup events at Minnippi Parklands onMay 24th. TEES is probably going to be helping with marshalling at this event, and holding a fundraising BBQ. If anyone can help with this, please let us know.
Minnippi Parkrun is proving to be a popular event with our members. If you haven't already been, try it out. It is on every Saturday at 7am at the Meadowlands Road entrance, by the dog off leash area. It's a free timed 5km run.